Water Polo and Travel: The Best Destinations for Water Polo Enthusiasts
Water polo is a popular aquatic team sport that combines elements of swimming, basketball, and soccer. It is played in a pool, with teams trying to score goals by throwing a ball into the opposing team’s goal. Water polo enthusiasts around the world are constantly on the lookout for exciting new destinations where they can watch or play the sport. Here are some of the best destinations for water polo enthusiasts.
- California, USA California is a hotbed of water polo activity, with many schools and universities offering competitive teams. The state is home to the USA Water Polo National Training Center, which is located in Los Alamitos. The center has an Olympic-sized pool and hosts training sessions for the US national water polo teams. In addition to training facilities, California also has many water polo clubs and tournaments throughout the year.
- Barcelona, Spain Barcelona is a city that loves sports, and water polo is no exception. The city is home to one of the best water polo teams in Europe, Club Natació Atlètic-Barceloneta. The team has won multiple championships and has produced many Olympic athletes. In addition to watching the team play, visitors can also enjoy the beautiful beaches and the famous architecture of Antoni Gaudí.
- Dubrovnik, Croatia Dubrovnik is a beautiful coastal city that is known for its clear waters and stunning scenery. The city has a rich history of water polo, and the sport is deeply ingrained in the local culture. The city’s main water polo club, VK Jug Dubrovnik, has a long and successful history, with multiple national and European titles. The club’s games are often held in the beautiful outdoor pool in the Old Town.
- Sydney, Australia Australia is known for its love of sports, and water polo is no exception. Sydney has a thriving water polo community, with many clubs and teams at all levels of competition. The city hosted the 2000 Summer Olympics, which included water polo matches at the Sydney International Aquatic Centre. Visitors can also enjoy the city’s beautiful beaches and other iconic landmarks.
- Budapest, Hungary Hungary is a country that is passionate about water polo, and Budapest is the epicenter of the sport. The city is home to many water polo clubs, including the world-renowned team, Ferencvárosi Torna Club. Budapest has also hosted numerous international water polo tournaments, including the FINA World Aquatics Championships in 2017. Visitors can soak up the city’s culture and history while also enjoying the excitement of water polo matches.
- Athens, Greece Greece is the birthplace of many ancient sports, including water polo. Athens is a city that is steeped in history and culture, and it also has a thriving water polo scene. The country has produced many successful water polo players, and the sport is deeply embedded in Greek culture. Visitors can explore the city’s rich history while also enjoying the excitement of watching water polo matches.
- Rio de Janeiro, Brazil Brazil is a country that is known for its love of soccer, but water polo is also a popular sport. Rio de Janeiro hosted the 2016 Summer Olympics, which included water polo matches at the Maria Lenk Aquatic Centre. Visitors can also enjoy the city’s beautiful beaches, vibrant nightlife, and rich culture.
In conclusion, water polo enthusiasts have many exciting destinations to choose from. Whether you want to watch a professional match or play a game yourself, these cities offer some of the best opportunities to experience the sport. From the beaches of California to the historic streets of Athens, there’s a destination for everyone.